ads728x90

Breaking News

'We are proud of him, but we worry for his future,' say Mahad hero's parents

Naveed Duste, who saved 30 people before Tarique Garden crashed on August 24 in Mahad, is likely to be discharged from hospital today. His family is excited about this, but they are also worried about his remaining treatment that will cost around Rs 4 lakh, and his livelihood in future as he is the sole breadwinner.

On Monday, Duste will be discharged from the hospital, but he is worried about continuing further treatment which will cost the R4 lakh. A reliable source from the hospital said that Duste will have to pay for his remaining treatment after discharge. The bills so far, over Rs 12 lakh, will be paid by the state government.

A day before he was discharged, Duste spoke about the crash and his worries from Apollo Hospital, CBD Belapur. "I wanted to lift my right leg three days post my surgery. I asked my cousin to help me, but instead he started crying. That is when I realised my right leg was amputated," said Duste. At least 16 people died in the crash and nine were rescued from the debris.

Naveed Duste, an electrician, is the sole bread winner
Naveed Duste, an electrician, is the sole bread winner

"Every time, I look at my amputated leg, I get a flash back of the happenings that fateful evening. But at the same time, I feel it is only because of all those people I had saved minutes before the crash, their blessings and prayers, that Allah Tala gave me a new lease on life," said Duste.

Realised the danger

On that evening, he recalled, "I could sense the building plaster was peeling off and I rushed into B wing, to save my friend, Sameer Pore's, 31, family first. I picked up two of his kids, Azhar, 5, and Ziyan, 2 ½."

"I realised people would be trapped and one after the other, started getting residents out. I rushed to the fourth floor and found an old woman (Kulsum Bamne, 75) in my arms, and rushed to safety," he said. It was just seconds before the building came down, he managed to push his friend's mother, Farida Pore, to safety. However, his leg was trapped in the debris. "I was the sole bread winner for my family of four, but now with an amputated leg, I wonder if life will become normal. My son, Nayaan, 7, is too young. My wife Nasreen, 28 and he speak to me on video calls. With all the good wishes and prayers of people, I am sure this tough time will pass," said the brave man.

Hafiz, his father said, "We are proud of Naveed, he saved the lives of innocent residents, but at the same time, we are worried about his future. He was the sole bread winner for us. With his treatment yet to be completed, and no source of income, I am worried. Hopefully, the people, will stand by him and support him."

Also Read: Mahad building crash: Hero who saved 30 people, now homeless

Moving him to Mumbra

Parvez Kauchali, Duste's brother-in-law said they were excited about his discharge. Duste's rented house had to be vacated since the building was declared dangerous. So Kauchali said, "We have decided to take Naveed to his in-laws house in Mumbra, till his treatment is on at Apollo hospital."

Dr Prashant Agrawal, consultant orthopaedic and joint replacement surgeon at Apollo hospital, said, "Had Naveed been brought in within the golden six hours of rescue, we could have saved his right leg. It had sustained both crush and muscle injuries, including the arteries in the knee getting impacted adversely." Apart from the right knee, he also had a fracture in his left leg and it will take at least two months for healing.

"We will go for a prosthetic limb, below the right amputated knee. He may need a rehabilitation programme to survive with a prosthetic limb, which will help him to do all his routine like before," explained Dr Agrawal.

Keep scrolling to read more news

Catch up on all the latest Mumbai news, crime news, current affairs, and a complete guide from food to things to do and events across Mumbai. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates.

Mid-Day is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@middayinfomedialtd) and stay updated with the latest news



from Latest news in Mumbai,National news,Mumbai news,Mid-Day epaper,Mid-Day online news paper | Mid-Day https://ift.tt/3je0dwY

No comments